How can you?

I was sitting down this morning to read my Bible and I came across the verse in Phillipians 4:13 that says, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

You know, I have used this scripture many many times when I am struggling to get through something.  It's an awesome reminder that God is there... that God will help... That Christ is our strength.... But today it sunk in a little deeper as I backed up and looked further at the passage. 

When Paul wrote this, he was addressing the Phillipians.  He was saying to them at this very point that he had learned to be content.  He had learned to live within the means of whatever he had at that time.  He said to them, "I am not saying this because I am in need for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." 

These are the words that prelude the scripture of "I can do everything through him who gives me strength?"  DO YOU REALIZE WHAT PAUL IS SAYING?  think about this.... he knew what it was to be in need... he felt times of despair and brokenness!!!  He KNEW!  He had also felt having plenty and no needs at all.  He knew what it was to have been fed but also to go hungry.... Have you ever gone hungry? Felt that growling need in your stomach? Thought you could just eat an entire cow if you had the chance? Yeah... pretty sure Paul has felt that and probably not for a moment while he ran to the fridge but for days.... until he found food.  He KNEW being in need....

But he found the secret to surviving.... the key to everything.... he found his strength in one thing... I can do everything through him.... who is him?  who is the amazing he???

Paul found his all in the one who gave up everything.  Paul found his ability to be strong in the name of Christ, the son of God, who gave him strength in every single situation.  In I Timothy 6:6 it says, "But godliness with contentment is great gain."

Being content is good.... But finding that contentment on your own is impossible.  Life is tough.  It is so easy to get caught up in things and find yourself desiring things and feeling unsettled in life.  How many of us could truly know hunger and still say... I am content and I can do everything through him who gives me strength?  I don't know about you... but when I am hungry... I am absolutely HANGRY and it isn't pretty. 

So, today I ask you two fold.... Are you content? and how can you? 

We need Christ the center of our all.... our everything to find strength to make it through each day.....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another step...

Turn of events...

Up close