Alabaster jar

So, here I am again... my random moments that I get to actually sit down and blog!

Last night, I was praying about what God wanted me to read in my devotions.  As I prayed, I kept being drawn to this one particular passage.  I keep praying and asking God... what is it I am to learn here or see here...

The passage is Matthew 26:6-13. 

Jesus Anointed at Bethany

While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.
When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked. “This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.”
10 Aware of this, Jesus said to them, “Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 11 The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. 12 When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. 13 Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”

As I read this over and over... the word beautiful in verse 10 kept really hitting me.  I mean, think about his.  This woman had an alabaster jar (Usually made of marble) and this expensive perfume.  She could have made some serious money with it.  It's value and it's worth would have exceeded taking care of many!  BUT she chose... chose to pour it over the head of the man who was about to give his life up for her.  She chose to be a vessel to prepare Jesus for his death and burial.  She chose to take part in the destiny set before Jesus... the destiny HE CHOSE to take on so you and I could have life.... A life of forgiveness because of his willingness to be beat and die...

So... back to beautiful....



                   beau·ti·ful   

ADJECTIVE

  1. pleasing the senses or mind aesthetically (in a way that gives pleasure through beauty)
So, doing this... Jesus said, "She has done a beautiful thing to me..."  This was pleasing to Him... this showed her commitment... her love for Him... her care and concern... HER OBEDIENCE.... Looking into Beautiful a bit deeper... in this context, the Greek word has aesthetic as well as an ethical meaning. 

It leads me to think about my life and the lives of those around me.  If I look at this from the ethical view of this word.... I start to wonder what's in my life that God's asking me to pour out... to pour upon him... The disciples stood, and bore witness to this pouring of an expensive perfume over Jesus' head... they doubted... they questioned in anger why on earth she would waste this when it could have been used to help the poor...

People are going to doubt.  People are going to question.  People are going to think you are wasting precious things in your life... but at what point... when do we say... it's time... and we give up that which is the most costly or precious in our lives to SERVE the man who died.  to give something that He will see as beautiful. 

I sit at this moment now asking God... What is it... what is it I am to do or to give at this very moment... What is my alabaster jar... what is my expensive perfume.... Even if the world questions... what is it in my life Papa that you would see as a beautiful, pleasing gift....

May I be willing to pour it out... upon the head of Jesus with passion to serve and love him like none other....







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another step...

Turn of events...

Up close